Having great healthy hair that is full of body may sound trivial at first but it’s such a big deal for a lot of women. Our hair is indeed our crowning glory and it is responsible for framing the face nicely. This is why we think it’s important to maintain its condition. The sight of hair loss can be bothersome and quite tough to deal with especially for those who are prone to it. While there is an acceptable amount of hair loss that happens normally everyday, start consulting a doctor if you notice extreme hair loss that is drastic and chronic. This may be a sign of a health issue that needs treatment ASAP. The usual causes of hair loss are the following:
- Harsh shampoos and hair products
- Stress, anxiety and tension
- Frequent chemical treatments like hair coloring and perms
- Malnutrition or lack of nutrients in the body
- Certain scalp disorders
- Hormonal imbalance
- Drug abuse
- Side effects of some medications
If the culprit is none of things written above then you can do use these simple everyday tips to minimize hair loss. Here is the list:
- Shampoo using the cushion of your fingers. Stop rubbing your hair vigorously with your fingers, or worse, with your nails.
- Do not comb when hair is wet. Your hair is more prone to breakage and hair loss when the hair is wet. Allow to air dry for 10 minutes before brushing.
- Use proper brush and hair tools. Avoid using low quality brushes that will further damage your hair. Invest in a good quality brush like Bella Eleganze’s The Brush. It efficiently removes tangles without causing hair breakage. Best of all, it’s great for brushing your hair too.
- Do not rub hair vigorously with your towel. Pat dry instead of rubbing with a towel.
- Apply coconut oil 3 times a week. Coconut oil can also treat scalp disorders such as flaking and dandruff. It will also make your hair shiny and soft but the best part is it counters hair loss and encourages new hair growth. Apply after drying freely washed hair.
- Do not wash your hair everyday. This will solely depend on what activities you have done for the day. If you had a good sweat at the gym or went out during a hot and humid day or got exposed to pollution then by all means, wash your hair. But if not, try to limit washing to every other day.
- Minimize heat styling. Your seemingly innocent looking blow dryers, irons and curlers do more damage then good. Use during special occasions only.
- Minimize chemical treatments. Constantly subjecting your hair to chemical treatments like perms, coloring or straightening will weaken your hair and cause unwanted hair loss. If possible, avoid these totally.
- Avoid tying your hair in tight ponytails. Tight ponytails cause much hair loss and also avoid hair ties and elastics that rip hair out.
- Eat a balanced diet. Avoid deficiencies by choosing food items rich in iron, zinc, Vitamins A, B complex, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids and proteins. Stop eating junk food, soda and food items that won’t nourish the body.